This module is set up to allow the administration and management of all types of intellectual property (IP) and its potential commercialisation. It includes a facility to record all phases of the processes of patenting and licensing IP.
The system incorporates a simple but very powerful decision tree tool to assist with the assessment of the potential for commercialisation of a particular piece of work. This element guides the user through a series of questions and ultimately generates the recommended outcome. This allows even a novice user to effectively make complex decisions using the product.
Key data elements stored in the system are:
- All investigators both internal and external and both staff and students
- Affiliation data based on the internal structure of the institution, or the affiliation of external collaborators
- Grants consultancies or contracts which are related to IP
- Data relating to all stages of the patenting process including data relating to the agent and the cumulative costs incurred
- Comprehensive data concerning inventions
- All documents associated with the particular IP including a feature to store confidential documents which is controlled by rigorous security
- Full data is stored concerning agreements and the system allows the storage of the documents relating to the specific agreement
- Full workflow management through progress steps including powerful facilities to monitor the time taken for each part of the process